So, you need to hire an attorney. We know what you’re probably thinking: That’s going to be about as much fun as rebuilding your car tranny. When it comes to working with a lawyer, though, you don’t want to be taken for a ride.
That’s why we recommend asking some important questions up front. The following list will go a long way in helping you choose the best attorney to meet your particular needs.
- What is your education and work experience?
- Do you have a specialty when it comes to law?
- How long have you been practicing in this area of law?
- Have you handled matters like mine before?
- How many similar clients or cases have you taken on?
- What were the outcomes of these similar cases?
- Once I explain my situation to you, will you be able to tell me specifically how can you help me?
- Understanding that there are no guarantees, what are the risks and probability of successfully or unsuccessfully resolving my legal problem?
- Will I be working directly with you? Will you answer my phone calls and emails or will someone else in your law office do that?
- Who else in your office will be working on my case?
- How and when will you notify me of the status of my case?
- Do you have adequate time to help me with my case based on your current caseload?
- How long will it take to resolve my case?
- How will my case affect my personal life?
- How often will you bill me?
- In addition to your fee, what other costs will be involved in my case?
- Does your law firm carry malpractice insurance?
- If I decide to end my case with you, will you return my case file to me?
If you already have an attorney for some other reason and feel comfortable with this person, ask him or her for a referral to an attorney who can help with your current situation. Attorneys typically know lawyers in other fields and are happy to connect you with those who are reputable and do good work for their clients.
With solid answers to the above questions in your toolbox, you will be well on your way to knowing which attorney is right for your case.
The injury lawyers of Heller, Maas, Moro & Magill Co., LPA are from northeastern Ohio and areactive members of the Mahoning Valley community. Our firm been established as a legal practice here since 1985. We know this area. All of our seven attorneys grew up here, were educated in local schools and worked jobs for companies and in plants here before joining our firm.